NIZAM OF HYDERABAD NECKLACE
- The Nizam of Hyderabad, Asaf Jah VII, was one of the richest men in the world.
- The Nizam offered the then-Princess of England, Elizabeth an opportunity to pick anything from his existing collection of jewels for herself as a wedding present.
- Princess Elizabeth chose two pieces. The first one was a floral tiara with removable parts that could be worn as brooches. The other one was a floral necklace. Both the pieces were made of diamonds set in platinum.
- Elizabeth wore these pieces very often. She posed in the necklace for portraits before she succeeded to the throne.
- In 1973, she got the tiara dismantled, keeping the three floral brooches intact but removed the diamonds.
- She still wears the necklace on certain occasions.
- It is interesting to note that the same necklace was worn by the Duchess of Cambridge recently.